Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Chapter 8 Organize for Daily Writing

Have we organized, tested, assessed ourselves into a hole - I think not. It's never too late to dig out! Yes organization is important, but I think it is the teacher who needs to possess the organization and work with the skills the students have. How tricky is that with all the time constraints we possess.
This chapter reminded me of the importance of writing every day - writing every day - writing every day! The author noted on P. 175 that writing regularly is more likely to lead to fluency. I think fluency will transfer to the value of writing. If we deem it important - so will the students.
The key points to setting up the environment for success were helpful tools. they can be found on P. 176. I copied this and put it on an index card I keep on my desk now.
I thought it might be insightful to have the kids brainstorm topics they like to write about and incorporate them once or twice a week in their journal. I will post the big chart paper on the wall so they can refer to it when they get ready to journal. I/m looking for some meaningful, interesting, yet fun journal entries to close out the year!

4 comments:

K Styes said...

Yes! I'm with you! If we approach writing (or anything else) as important, it will become important in the minds of our students.

Her comments about developing writing fluency made me rethink my efforts to include writing each day. Since I read this chapter, I've incorporated writing everywhere . . . trying to build fluency, and I've seen improvement in it. Yeah!

Nancy said...

Chris, I thought the key points to setting up the environment were very helpful too. Good idea about the index card. I also like your idea about journal writing. I also struggle with this.

Travelin' Tim said...

I like your idea about journal writing and letting the students make some suggestions for writing prompts. Organization is definitely important.

vicki'svoice said...

Great idea to use the index card.