Friday, March 14, 2008

Chapter 6 Capitalize on the Reading-Writing Connection

I appreciate this chapter devoting the importance of the reading-writing connection. I definitely want to incorporate more writing outlets during reading class. Literature response could be incorporated almost daily and reread in small groups, whole class, or with partners the following day. The teaching tip on P. 124 on revising effectively encourages us to reread and revise the following day. The tip suggests it may be easier to see what changes are needed on the following day.
Reading comprehension could increase if summary writing was utilized more. Although constructing summaries are not always easy, the value of purpose, recall, decoding for meaning, and understanding the text would be very beneficial to increase comprehension. I don't do enough summarizing - but I'm going to change that!
This book provides a lot of primary examples, so I was thrilled to see the framework exercise for summary writing for 6th grade. Now this is something I can relate to and utilize with future reading lessons. I encourage any intermediate teachers to reread P. 128-131 when they need a refresher for summary writing to check student understanding.

2 comments:

astambaugh said...

I have done 2 minute summaries with my students after we read our social studies text. They really improve over the year. I need to incorporate this into more subjects though.

Vicky Richardson said...

I like the idea of summary writing. I think I am going to try Amanda's 2 minute social studies summary on our next lesson. I agree that summary writing is something I need to add more of.