Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ch. 10 Make Assessment Count

Had to take this chapter to heart. We just finished writing assessments - and guilty as charged many skills were taught in an isolated fashion. I've really got to concentrate on more mini lessons, and much, much more practice writing.
I was interested in the students using rubric and assessing some of their own writing. I thought about printing the information on P. 255 on index cards and laminating them for the students to self check when they are finished with a writing piece. I think this could be helpful, especially the first semester.
Say yes to reducing test anxiety for the student as well as the teacher! The author provided another teacher, Kari Oosterveen's helpful suggestions. This teacher put a positive spin on tests, telling them they are writing to the "deciding people" who determine what should be learned and taught in our schools. This is their chance to "Wow" the crowd with all they know. It's show time! When I read that I immediately thought I WANT TO BE THAT POSITIVE!
Another major point that struck me was the inner voice in writing. I use that terminology in reading and it didn't dawn on me to use it with writing. I have the "Inner Voice" (taken from a Reading conference) small chart posted in my room. I definitely need to add an "Inner Voice" writing small poster now!

6 comments:

Vicky Richardson said...

I loved the "deciding people" too. I think we need to give them a Kansas name! I also want to do more practice writing. We'll have to be creative on finding the time to do it.

Mrs. Babcock said...

I loved your idea of putting the little checklist on an index card for use throughout the year. I had to go back to p255 and see the list again, and sure enough... kid friendly and easy. Would you use this in conjunction with the larger rubric or would you use it in isolation?

Mindy Wills said...

Chris, I think if we are all honest, we have all been guilty of teaching things in isolation. Regie did have some great ways to be positive about getting students revved up to do their best and WOW the "writing judges". I also think the checklist on page 255 would be great for each student to have - isn't that a key to good writing - self evauluation?

astambaugh said...

I think we are all guilty in teaching isolation skills. I have stated that I would love to see minilessons taught. A workshop over this would be great or in one of our writing meetings.

Brenda Dunning said...

Chris,

I would like to learn more from you on the "inner voice" for reading and writing. I also liked the idea of putting p. 255 on index cards to use with our students.

Bernetta said...

I think kids would benefit from using the checklist on index cards. I like the idea of using their "inner voice" for writing as well as reading.