Friday, March 14, 2008

Ch. 7 Be Efficient and Integrate Basic Skills

Make writing as real as possible! Great theory but we are caught up in the assessment mode.
I agree with the statement that we isolate many writing skills and think the kids can transfer the worksheet to "real" writing. I enjoy writing, so I like to provide a lot of modeling for my students. The timesaver teaching tip on P. 148 made me realize I fall into that trap of wanting the students to provide more of the sample board writing, and I could use my teaching time better if I allow them to observe me demonstrating writing and thinking out loud.
The second teaching tip on P. 148 is to repeat the expectation. Too many times we state what is expected and switch to independent work. I like to repeat what is expected and allow for any questions to check for understanding before we begin independent work. It seems like we are all on such tight schedules during the school day and writing takes time and sometimes is left out of the school day. I appreciate all the suggestions in this book to incorporate small bits of writing throughout the day and allowing more conversation for the students.
The author has a unique way of inviting the study of the six traits without stating the objective first. For example, When you're the author you get to choose the words. Let's listen to the words this author uses. (Instead of "We're going to learn about word choice.") She also had a unique way of organizing paragraphs. She suggests the students write, then conference with them to pull out "like information" to develop a paragraph. This would certainly help those who struggle with organization.
There is a lot of strength in mini-lessons. I'm going to try and incorporate more mini-lessons using brief writing assignments. I think the students will connect with the lesson objective when they are using their own writing material. For example, they could circle all their verbs when they summarized a social studies lesson. In whole class we could list verbs they used, then invite new verbs we could exchange them for to make our summary more interesting. I would certainly welcome any other mini-lessons you use in your classroom that have been successful or insightful.

5 comments:

vicki'svoice said...

I was surprised by the idea of learn it then label it. That was different for me. I agree that too often we state the expectation then switch to independent work. We don't do enough modeling and guided practice.

Carol Richerson said...

I think shared writing is a great way for the kids to enjoy writing, learn some basic skills and gain confidence to write more creatively on their own.

Mindy Wills said...

I think we often feel overwhelmed with assessments. I know I do and I only give 2!! I know one thing Regie has made me realize is that I try to do too much! Mini lessons mean mini!!

Nancy said...

Chris, I liked your idea on using verbs cross-curricular. I'll be trying that myself. Thanks!

Travelin' Tim said...

Mini lessons is what I need to do more of also. I just hope to have more time, but assessments come first.