Friday, April 4, 2008

Ch. 12 Make Every Minute Count

Short chapter loaded with final comments and information. I appreciated the "Secrets of Good Writers." I do however disagree with teacher comments on students' papers do little to improve writing, even if the comments are positive ones. I've discovered my students look forward to comments on their papers and journals. They immediately read the script and usually want to share with a neighbor. They will frequently bring an assignment back to me and ask if it reads or sounds better now! Just a thought, but I'm not going to stop just yet writing comments - I still see it as a valuable teaching moment.
The author sums it best in her final paragraph..."I have seen no research that shows that educators who work the longest hours get the best results or that longer reading and writing projects teach more about reading and writing." Kind of hits home - we all lead such busy and fulfilling lives and of course our students are such a large part of it, that we really need to prioritize our goals and objectives for our classrooms. Sounds like I've got some summer school-work to do!

5 comments:

K Styes said...

I share your thoughts about writing comments on students' papers. I guess I do it so much that my students just expect it, and are disappointed if I haven't written some kind of a message on a paper I've graded. It's almost like I have a one-sided conversation with each student - - and when I return papers, my written comments provide me a reminder of teaching points for each student.

janicegreen said...

I agree we need to prioritize what we are teaching and our own lives.

Vicky Richardson said...

I agree with you about writing comments on student papers. I have found if I take the time to write something positive about their paper, the students appreciate the feed back.

Mrs. Gary said...

I too share your thoughts about writing comments on students' papers. It has been my experience that my students value what I write to them. I see them looking for a comment, something positive they have written. If I see a problem, I usually conference with them privately.

Brenda Dunning said...

I agree with your thoughts about writing comments on students' papers. I think students enjoy the additional feedback.